Monday, February 18, 2013

Facing Adversity

A Mind More Twisted than Auntie Anne's Delicious Pretzels

No, here I am not talking about my own mind. Mine's just twisted like an "S". I am also not talking about the otherwise wonderful mashup artist that unleashed this combination of dance crazes upon us.

Watch if you are not afraid of losing sanity

 No, I am talking about an individual much more disturbed. So twisted and disturbed is this man that he must be restrained to a film.

Pavi Largo

Okay, I know a large amount of you all may not know the name, but I implore you, before you leap to Google, Bing, or whatever search engine you use, allow me to explain this person.

The greek tale of Narcissus, the handsome young man that was so infatuated by his own appearance that he remained at the bed of a stream, staring into his reflection for so long that he turned into a plant? Yeah. Think of that. Pavi is obsessed with his own appeal. He's a ladies man and, even at the opera, is surgically attached to a handheld mirror. To boast and exaggerate his physique, he wears tight black clothing, including leather pants. In fact, it's most likely that he wears mainly women's clothes. And he doesn't stop there with feminine fashion.

He wears women's faces.


Yes, that's right. Women's faces. Pictured above in one of the final scenes of the film, Pavi is wearing his final face, which is permanently and, in an absolutely haunting way, contorted in a smile, even when saddened.

D:

But why do I devote time to talking about this twisted excuse for a man? Because he's Pavi fucking Largo. But also because I have an hour before friends show up to play a horror-based RPG. But also because the movie that he's from is going on tour yet again.


Repo! The Genetic Opera, it's creators, and their new project are all going on tour once again to meet the fans that have turned the film into an underground sensation. Their tour bringing around their newest film The Devil's Carnival brought Zydrate Addicts and Sinners forward in extravagant and gothic costumes.

Costumes.
Yeeeessss....

Pavi Largo offers such a great opportunity for me as both a makeup artist of special effects as well as the fact that I've always kind of enjoyed the gothic fashion. Not to mention Halloween is my favorite holiday of all time. Costumes that inspire horror and questions about the process are what gives me enjoyment.
My self-attempt at the classic Two-Face from Batman

I will be attempting to make a mold of a woman's face and making a thin duplicate to apply to mine own. The difficult parts will definitely be finding the right costume pieces and maybe a wig. I've unfortunately cut my hair too short to pull off Pavi naturally. I am not too afraid of the mold and the creation of the face. My main concern about that process is finding someone willing to let me mold their face with plaster (or alginate if I can afford it) for twenty minutes or so while it hardens. 

However it goes, you can be sure that it will end up here.





No comments:

Post a Comment